From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The end of
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 15:56:17
1 Michael Orlitzky <mjo <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > This is exactly the problem we're trying to solve (and I'm sorry to hear
5 > it, many of us have been in a similar position).
6
7 Yep.
8 The point is not to "bemoan" the issue, but steer gentoo into a direction
9 where those who are not devs (for whatever reason) can easily contribute
10 to creating and maintaining a richer diversity of (ebuild) sofware
11 packages on Gentoo. Nothing is this movement prevents the good_old_dev
12 club from propering; it just allows the user community to build out
13 their systems, as they like. Devs can help, or stand aside, but
14 blocking (Gentoo) users form making their systems what they want
15 should be "celebrated" because that is the essential core value
16 of Gentoo, imho.
19 > Herds as a group of developers have always been very poorly-defined. As
20 > I've heard it repeated, originally packages were supposed to belong to
21 > herds, and developers were supposed to belong to projects. But herds
22 > almost always had an associated email address, so people who cared about
23 > groups of packages would add themselves to the herd to get on the email
24 > alias. But projects were there all along, too, and we wound up with a
25 > bunch of people in herds who were never going to fix bugs and some
26 > smaller number of people in projects (who might fix bugs) that weren't
27 > in the herds. It was all very confusing, so the council is voting to
28 > replace them with something that makes sense.
29
30 Finally. I understand that herds and projects, although not completely
31 the same thing, have so much overlap that both are not needed. Cleaning
32 out the cruft {} is a major step in revitalizing the Gentoo distro, imho.
35 > Basically we want to fix the situation we have right now where it's
36 > impossible to tell who is actually working on Java packages. Once herds
37 > are replaced, you should be able to get an accurate reading out of
38 > metadata.xml and/or the wiki page. (And I'm sure anyone actually working
39 > on Java would appreciate your help.)
40
41 One problem I see is there is not a "one to one" mapping of the herds
42 to projects. There is a clustering herd and some are still active devs,
43 but the herd has no balls (a bunch of steers?). I proposed that that
44 group be migrated to a project and was told that somebody in the cluster
45 herd (a dev) would have to make that effort (sending a one sentence email).
46
47 If they are not interested, how do a group of users become the cluster project?
50 Right now, most cluster related codes are worked on by the science herd/project.
54 > For you personally, I would try to find one or two people on the Java
55 > project (actually working on Java right now) and explain to them that
56 > you'd like to help close old bugs. Then you can CC or reassign the Java
57 > bugs to those people. When bug mail gets sent to a herd or project, it's
58 > too easy to say "screw it, someone else will deal with it." Bugs
59 > addressed to me personally get attention much sooner, even if only for
60 > psychological reasons. So reassigning those to a single person might
61 > prompt action sooner than you'd get otherwise.
64 Can you send me their gentoo mail addresses, privately?
65
66 I understand that we are all a bunch of volunteers. I get it, having
67 bootstrapped 6 companies myself over the years. I appreciate all
68 of the former and current devs. I do not wish to be a burden on anyone.
69 That said, I'm a team builder and would prefer to get users to do the
70 vast majority of the work, with me. If folks (kids) want to become
71 a gentoo dev, *thats great*; I just want a gentoo distro where *I* can
72 get done what I want and a dev community that either supports my vision(s)
73 or builds the core tools, systems and infrastructure that makes my
74 efforts and the efforts of other users, an enjoyable experience with Gentoo.
77 Sure some will migrate to the gentoo dev status, that's great. For me
78 I'd have to *see the changes* before going down that road again. Just look
79 at those old bugs for Java, You can "flush" them all older that 2010
80 without issue, in one blasted email, deprecation define stroke. I'm
81 not waisting any more time on that crap. If you doubt this, start searching
82 out those old bugs and find me one from pre-2010 that is still relevant;
83 also report how many you looked at before you found one that is still
84 relevant?
85
86 Facilitating an easy, straightforward, with plenty of examples for user
87 to patch (gentoo-tree) ebuilds on their systems, to setup there own, git
88 hub repository and clearly document examples of how to hack ebuilds, would
89 go a long way to making the user base very happy, imho. There are efforts,
90 but they are mostly "piece_meal", imho. If this finally emerges, you have
91 too many (qualified) applicants for gentoo dev and you'll have a very happy
92 user base; which will grow the gentoo adoptions vastly around the net.
93
94 Crib to Palace (or as the brothers would say, Mom's crib to my crib
95 aka crib-2-crib). But I'm not convince that the rank a file devs of gentoo
96 want to empower the user communityh to that level. Being older, it's a "show
97 me da money" time for those keen gentoo devs whom aspire for Gentoo to be a
98 user's distro.
99
100 Don't worry about me, I'm a mean old bastard; but I would worry about why
101 we have a lack of college age kids stepping forward into the gentoo-dev
102 space. Worry deeply about that, bro! Cause I can recruit them, but will
103 they put up with the existing fiefdoms?
107 Goodluck!
108 James