From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java nightmare
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:30:18
1 On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Holly Bostick wrote:
2 > > I'm installing gentoo from a Knoppix disk. I'm in the chroot
3 > > environment now. I tried to download the thing using Firefox. It died
4 > > quietly, probably because user knoppix has no permissions to write
5 > > to the disk.
6 >
7 > Huh? Am I missing something? (quite possibly.)
8 Sorry, should have been more explicit.
9 >
10 > 1) If you're in the chroot environment in the term, then the Gentoo
11 > partitions must be mounted, and you presumably mounted them under
12 > Knoppix (prior to chrooting). So how did you mount them that you don't
13 > have permissions to write to them? How did you get the Stage Tarball,
14 > then? and how can you install Gentoo at all, or are you saying that you
15 > only have write permissions to the Gentoo partitions when chrooted?
16 I issued "su -" as user knoppix (that's really an alias to "sudo su -"),
17 gave root a password, gave knoppix a password and edited /etc/sudoers to
18 remove all privileges from knoppix (as it was, knoppix was equivalent
19 to root). Then I started a ssh daemon configured to accept connections
20 only from office and only for user knoppix. After logging in from home
21 (with an office box as go-between), I issued "su -", and that's it.
22 >
23 > 2) IIrc (I've installed under Knoppix, but it was a while ago, so I'm a
24 > bit foggy), Knoppix does allow you to write to the RAM disk while it's
25 > running (I'm fairly sure of this, because I had to do that to download
26 > and install the LVM 'drivers' before I could install Gentoo with LVM2).
27 > So you should be able to download to that folder (iirc, it's kinda hard
28 > to find; if you try to download to the default directory, it won't work,
29 > but if you go up to the Knoppix / and then drill down, you can get to
30 > the RAM disk folder, where you can save to disk (and then copy the file
31 > to the mounted Gentoo partition).
32 I was at office finishing installing gentoo in chroot environment. User knoppix
33 had the display, of course, and couldn't make the download (don't know
34 where firefox puts downloads by default, but that should be easy to find
35 out; maybe a big download to RAM is blocked? Existing RAM should be
36 enough---1G). The issue is overcome now, since I already have gentoo working
37 with kde (although not tuned).
38
39 My mail was more of a rant against Sun than a call for help :)
40 I hate the downloading hassle. I would understand if they were selling
41 the product, but this seems just senseless...
44 > > I tried to download from another computer, through ssh. I went to the
45 > > site with lynx. Couldn't find my way through the labyrinth that is
46 > > Sun's site.
47 >
48 > When you run the ebuild, you'll get the fetch restriction message, but
49 > that message will include the exact link to download the file (it uses
50 > variables for the version number, so you have to run the ebuild to get
51 > the precise link). Copy that link and paste/type it into the other
52 > computer's browser.
53 But I think one still has to click somewhere to accept a silly
54 license...
55 >
56 > Hope this helps,
57 > Holly