From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] java nightmare
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:08:14
1 Jorge Almeida schreef:
2 > On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Robert Buzna wrote:
5 >> Use Sun's Java Kit (preferably jdk 1.4). Some application servers
6 >> had problems to start with blackdown jdk. If you want use
7 >> java-alsa, you must have installed alsa.
10 > No can do.
11 >
12 > I'm installing gentoo from a Knoppix disk. I'm in the chroot
13 > environment now. I tried to download the thing using Firefox. It died
14 > quietly, probably because user knoppix has no permissions to write
15 > to the disk.
16
17 Huh? Am I missing something? (quite possibly.)
18
19 1) If you're in the chroot environment in the term, then the Gentoo
20 partitions must be mounted, and you presumably mounted them under
21 Knoppix (prior to chrooting). So how did you mount them that you don't
22 have permissions to write to them? How did you get the Stage Tarball,
23 then? and how can you install Gentoo at all, or are you saying that you
24 only have write permissions to the Gentoo partitions when chrooted?
25
26 2) IIrc (I've installed under Knoppix, but it was a while ago, so I'm a
27 bit foggy), Knoppix does allow you to write to the RAM disk while it's
28 running (I'm fairly sure of this, because I had to do that to download
29 and install the LVM 'drivers' before I could install Gentoo with LVM2).
30 So you should be able to download to that folder (iirc, it's kinda hard
31 to find; if you try to download to the default directory, it won't work,
32 but if you go up to the Knoppix / and then drill down, you can get to
33 the RAM disk folder, where you can save to disk (and then copy the file
34 to the mounted Gentoo partition).
37 > I tried to download from another computer, through ssh. I went to the
38 > site with lynx. Couldn't find my way through the labyrinth that is
39 > Sun's site.
40
41 When you run the ebuild, you'll get the fetch restriction message, but
42 that message will include the exact link to download the file (it uses
43 variables for the version number, so you have to run the ebuild to get
44 the precise link). Copy that link and paste/type it into the other
45 computer's browser.
46
47 Hope this helps,
48 Holly