From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 08:34:45
1 On Tuesday 05 July 2011 23:16:21 Dale wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 05 July 2011 15:41:13 Dale wrote:>
4 > > update your fucking drivers.>
5 > > Seriously, no userspace app does something like this. The driver is
6 > > broken, KDE touches the broken part and BOOM.>
7 > > Don't blame KDE, blame nvidia.>
8 > > And update the driver.
9 > I don't think a bad video driver would cause this:
10 > *root@fireball / # emerge -av =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-270.41.19
11 > These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
12 > Calculating dependencies |
13 > !!! Invalid or corrupt dependency specification:
14 > Invalid atom (????1), token 1
15 > (dev-perl/Net-SSLeay-1.36::unxlngx, installed)
16 > Portage is unable to process the dependencies of the 'dev-perl/Net-
17 SSLeay-1.36' package. In order to correct this problem, the packageshould be
18 uninstalled, reinstalled, or upgraded. As a temporaryworkaround, the --nodeps
19 option can be used to ignore all dependencies.For reference, the problematic
20 dependencies can be found in the *DEPENDfiles located in '/var/db/pkg/dev-
21 perl/Net-SSLeay-1.36/'.... done!root@fireball / #
22 > Whatever the problems is, things are breaking. I think something in KDEis
23 broke, like corrupt file or some corrupt config somewhere, and it wasjust the
24 first symptom of the problem. No matter what I try to emerge,I get errors
25 like this.
26 > Still think emerging a new video driver is going to help? ;-)
27 > Dale
29 > *
30
31 kde does not corrupt /var/db and does not lock up machines.
32
33 Bad video drivers do lock up machines
34
35 And machines locking up are prone to damage their file systems.
38 #163933