From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: swaps mounted randomly [not out of the woods yet]
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 08:36:09
1 On 2020-03-19 09:33, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 08:17:58 +0100, n952162 wrote:
3 >
4 >> A couple of years back, I bought these drives to install RAID on them,
5 >> but gave up on that.  Now, I've decided to do "manual" RAID, but I'm
6 >> wondering if the fact that the two drives have the same UUID is causing
7 >> whoever it is who sets up /dev/disk (I'm still trying to find that
8 >> culprit) is croaking on two different devices with the same UUID.
9 > udev creates /dev
10 >
11 >> Where is the UUID determined?  I'd presumed that it was derived from
12 >> some characteristics of the drive, determined by the device controller,
13 >> but now I'm wondering if my initial RAID configuration set some
14 >> drive-internal variable to be identical?
15 >>
16 >> And, how does one /*reset*/ it?
17 > tune2fs -U [UUID] /dev/sdX
18 >
19 > UUID can be either a string in the standard format or the word random.
23 Cool!  I missed that about the "random" keyword.