From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: swaps mounted randomly [not out of the woods yet]
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 08:33:51
1 On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 08:17:58 +0100, n952162 wrote:
2
3 > A couple of years back, I bought these drives to install RAID on them,
4 > but gave up on that.  Now, I've decided to do "manual" RAID, but I'm
5 > wondering if the fact that the two drives have the same UUID is causing
6 > whoever it is who sets up /dev/disk (I'm still trying to find that
7 > culprit) is croaking on two different devices with the same UUID.
8
9 udev creates /dev
10
11 > Where is the UUID determined?  I'd presumed that it was derived from
12 > some characteristics of the drive, determined by the device controller,
13 > but now I'm wondering if my initial RAID configuration set some
14 > drive-internal variable to be identical?
15 >
16 > And, how does one /*reset*/ it?
17
18 tune2fs -U [UUID] /dev/sdX
19
20 UUID can be either a string in the standard format or the word random.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 The careful application of terror is also a form of communication.