From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: swaps mounted randomly [not out of the woods yet]
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 07:18:01
1 I just discovered that two of my disks have exactly the same UUIDs.
2
3 A couple of years back, I bought these drives to install RAID on them,
4 but gave up on that.  Now, I've decided to do "manual" RAID, but I'm
5 wondering if the fact that the two drives have the same UUID is causing
6 whoever it is who sets up /dev/disk (I'm still trying to find that
7 culprit) is croaking on two different devices with the same UUID.
8
9 Where is the UUID determined?  I'd presumed that it was derived from
10 some characteristics of the drive, determined by the device controller,
11 but now I'm wondering if my initial RAID configuration set some
12 drive-internal variable to be identical?
13
14 And, how does one /*reset*/ it?