From: Jacques Montier <jmontier@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ext4 problem and disk access
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 09:12:09
1 2012/12/9 Andre Goessel <gentoo-user@×××××××.net>
2
3 > Moin,
4 >
5 > On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 03:36:29PM +0100, Jacques Montier wrote:
6 > > As soon as i mount an ext4 partition on my second 1To HDD, the hard drive
7 > > is always working (read/write) every second (even when doing nothing).
8 > >
9 > > This problem appears only with /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda6 and stops when
10 > > unmouting the two drives.
11 >
12 > I detected a similar behavior on fresh ext4 filesystems, after some
13 > searching I found the hint that it should be part of the ext4
14 > background initialisation and it should be finished after some
15 > time. In my case it finished after maybe 2 hours. :)
18 > Good luck ...
19 > Andre
22 Thank you Andre,
23
24 Solved !
25 Well, the problem disappeared as soon as i filled the two partitions with
26 data (data backed up before partitionning).
27 So, the initialisation seems to occur with a new empty ext4 partition only
28 filled with journal data.
29
30 Thanks to you two Nikos and Andre,
31