From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:53:10
1 >> ...
2 >> But at some point the 1s and 0s must be converted to some sort of an
3 >> analog signal if only right behind the diode.  A diode must be
4 >> presented with a signal in some sort of analog form in order to
5 >> illuminate, right?  Digital is just a figment of our imagination after
6 >> all.
7 >
8 > The pixel is either on or off. There's no way to make half of the adjacent pixel on (and the other half of that pixel off).
9
10 Well, couldn't the digital information for a particular pixel mean
11 blue, and the D/A mechanism attempts to create an analog signal that
12 the diode would interpret as blue, but the D/A converter or the analog
13 signal or the analog diode is affected by electric interference (which
14 traveled from the computer to the TV along the HDMI cable) and the
15 diode illuminates light blue instead of blue?
16
17 > Having said that, you may be on the right track. I hadn't looked at your photo before, so sorry for that, but it indeed looks like your telly may be doing some scaling on the image.
18 >
19 > Check for overscan / underscan settings in the TV's menus and on the remote. The button for overscan may not be at all obvious on the remote from the icon that labels it - if you can't find a button on the remote that resolves this issue, or a overscan setting in the TV's menus then check the manual.
20 >
21 > Overscan would cause this symptom, and it is such a common feature, that IMO you shouldn't pst back here again until you've identified it on your TV and checked it.
22
23 You may be right about this. I can select the following aspect ratios
24 on my TV's menu:
25
26 16:9 (this causes all 4 edges of the screen to be cut off)
27 Just Scan (this is what I use and it fits perfectly on the screen)
28 Set By Program (same as 16:9)
29 4:3 (same as 16:9 except with black boxes on the left and right)
30 Zoom (same as 16:9 except more of the image is cut off)
31 Cinema Zoom 1 (same as Zoom except nothing is cut off from the top of the image)
32
33 I set 1920x1080 in xorg.conf but I just tried defining no resolution
34 at all and it seems to have been set anyway:
35
36 (II) RADEON(0): Output HDMI-0 using initial mode 1920x1080
37
38 The TV is an LG 47LH90 and and it is said to do 1080p. I looked for
39 ghosting in 16:9 mode instead of Just Scan mode and strangely the
40 shadows are there, but they're oriented top and bottom instead of left
41 and right. I can take another photo if anyone would like to see.
42
43 Why do I need to select Just Scan in order to prevent all 4 edges of
44 the screen from being cut off?
45
46 - Grant