From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:02:10
1 On 29/09/2013 20:31, Grant wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 >> There's one thing that we haven't touched on, and that's the hardware.
6 >> Are they all identical hardware items, or at least compatible? Kernel
7 >> builds and hardware-sensitive apps like mplayer are the top reasons
8 >> you'd want to centralize things, but those are the very apps that will
9 >> make sure life miserable trying to fins commonality that works in all
10 >> cases. So do keep hardware needs in mind when making purchases.
11 >
12 > Keeping all of the laptops 100% identical as far as hardware is
13 > central to this plan. I know I'm setting myself up for big problems
14 > otherwise.
15
16 OK
20 >> Personally, I wouldn't do the building and pushing on my own laptop,
21 >> that turns me inot the central server and updates only happen when I'm
22 >> in the office. I'd use a central build host and my laptop is just
23 >> another client. Not all that important really, the build host is just an
24 >> address from the client's point of view
25 >
26 > I don't think I'm making the connection here. The central server
27 > can't do any unattended building and pushing, correct? So I would
28 > need to be around either way I think.
29 >
30 > I'm hoping I can emerge every package on my laptop that every other
31 > laptop needs. That way I can fix any build problems and update any
32 > config files right on my own system. Then I would push config file
33 > differences to all of the other laptops. Then each laptop could
34 > emerge its own stuff unattended.
35
36 I see what you desire now - essentially you want to clone your laptop
37 (or big chunks of it) over to your other workstations.
38
39 No problem, just share your laptop's stuff with the workstations. Either
40 share it directly, or upload your laptops configs and buildpks to a
41 central fileserver where the workstations can access them (it comes down
42 to the same thing really)
45 >>> OK, I'm thinking over how much variation there would be from laptop to
46 >>> laptop:
47 >>>
48 >>> 1. /etc/runlevels/default/* would vary of course.
49 >>> 2. /etc/conf.d/net would vary for the routers and my laptop which I
50 >>> sometimes use as a router.
51 >>> 3. /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf under the same conditions as #2.
52 >>> 4. Users and /home would vary but the office workstations could all be
53 >>> identical in this regard.
54 >>>
55 >>> Am I missing anything? I can imagine everything else being totally
56 >>> identical.
57 >>>
58 >>> What could I use to manage these differences?
59 >>
60 >> I'm sure there are numerous files in /etc/ with small niggling
61 >> differences, you will find these as you go along.
62 >>
63 >> In a Linux world, these files actually do not subject themselves to
64 >> centralization very well, they really do need a human with clue to make
65 >> a decision whilst having access to the laptop in question. Every time
66 >> we've brain-stormed this at work, we end up with only two realistic
68 >> individual per-host configs into puppet and push. It comes down to the
69 >> same thing, the only difference is the location where stuff is stored.
70 >
71 > I'm sure I will need to carefully define those config differences.
72 > Can I set up puppet (or similar) on my laptop and use it to push
73 > config updates to all of the other laptops? That way the package I'm
74 > using to push will be aware of config differences per system and push
75 > everything correctly. You said not to use puppet, but does that apply
76 > in this scenario?
77
78 My warning about using Puppet on Gentoo should have come with a
79 disclaimer: don't use puppet to make a Gentoo machine to emerge packages
80 from source.
81
82 You intend to push binary packages always, where the workstation doesn't
83 have a choice in what it gets (you already decided that earlier). That
84 will work well and from your workstation's POV is almost identical to
85 how binary distros work.
88 >> I'm slowly coming to conclsuion that you are trying to solve a problem
89 >> with Gentoo that binary distros already solved a very long time ago. You
90 >> are forcing yourself to become the sole maintainer of GrantOS and do all
91 >> the heavy lifting of packaging. But, Mint and friends already did all
92 >> that work already and frankly, they are much better at it than you or I.
93 >
94 > Interesting. When I switched from Windows about 10 years ago I had
95 > only a very brief run with Mandrake before I settled on Gentoo so I
96 > don't *really* know what a binary distro is about. How would this
97 > workflow be different on a binary distro?
98
99 A binary distro would be the same as I described above. How those
100 distros work is quite simple - their packages are archives like
101 quickpkgs with pre- and post- install/uninstall scripts. These script do
102 exactly the same thing as the various phase functions in portage - they
103 define where to move files to, ownerships and permissions of them, and
104 maybe a migration script if needed.
105
106 The distro's package manager deals with all the details - you just tell
107 it what you want installed and it goes ahead and does it.
108
109 What the Puppet server does is tell the workstation it needs to install
110 package XYZ. Code on the workstation then runs the package manager to do
111 just that.
112
113 For config files, there are numerous methods. You can simply drop a new
114 config file to overwrite the old one, or add a new user by having
115 useradd be run, or even change an existing config with sed. Whatever you
116 need to happen within reason, Puppet has a way to do it from a central
117 piece of software.
120 To get a feel for how it works, visit puppet's web site and download
121 some of the test appliances they have there and run them in vm software.
122 Set up a server and a few clients, and start experimenting in that
123 sandbox. You'll quickly get a feel for how it all hangs together (it's
124 hard to describe in text how puppet gets the job done, so much easier to
125 do it for real and watch the results)
132 Alan McKinnon
133 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com