From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:32:01
1 >>>> I realized I only need two types of systems in my life. One hosted
2 >>>> server and bunch of identical laptops. My laptop, my wife's laptop,
3 >>>> our HTPC, routers, and office workstations could all be on identical
4 >>>> hardware, and what better choice than a laptop? Extremely
5 >>>> space-efficient, portable, built-in UPS (battery), and no need to buy
6 >>>> a separate monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, camera, etc. Some
7 >>>> systems will use all of that stuff and some will use none, but it's
8 >>>> OK, laptops are getting cheap, and keyboard/mouse/video comes in handy
9 >>>> once in a while on any system.
10 >>>
11 >>> Laptops are a good choice, desktops are almost dead out there, and thin
12 >>> clients nettops are just dead in the water for anything other than
13 >>> appliances and media servers
14 >>>
15 >>>> What if my laptop is the master system and I install any application
16 >>>> that any of the other laptops need on my laptop and push its entire
17 >>>> install to all of the other laptops via rsync whenever it changes?
18 >>>> The only things that would vary by laptop would be users and
19 >>>> configuration.
20 >>>
21 >>> Could work, but don't push *your* laptop's config to all the other
22 >>> laptops. they end up with your stuff which might not be what them to
23 >>> have. Rather have a completely separate area where you store portage
24 >>> configs, tree, packages and distfiles for laptops/clients and push from
25 >>> there.
26 >>
27 >> I actually do want them all to have my stuff and I want to have all
28 >> their stuff. That way everything is in sync and I can manage all of
29 >> them by just managing mine and pushing. How about pushing only
30 >> portage configs and then letting each of them emerge unattended? I
31 >> know unattended emerges are the kiss of death but if all of the
32 >> identical laptops have the same portage config and I emerge everything
33 >> successfully on my own laptop first, the unattended emerges should be
34 >> fine.
35 >
36 > Within those constraints it could work fine. The critical stuff to share
37 > is make.conf and /etc/portage/*, everything else can be shared to
38 > greater or lesser degree and you can undo things on a whim if you wish.
39 >
40 > There's one thing that we haven't touched on, and that's the hardware.
41 > Are they all identical hardware items, or at least compatible? Kernel
42 > builds and hardware-sensitive apps like mplayer are the top reasons
43 > you'd want to centralize things, but those are the very apps that will
44 > make sure life miserable trying to fins commonality that works in all
45 > cases. So do keep hardware needs in mind when making purchases.
46
47 Keeping all of the laptops 100% identical as far as hardware is
48 central to this plan. I know I'm setting myself up for big problems
49 otherwise.
50
51 > Personally, I wouldn't do the building and pushing on my own laptop,
52 > that turns me inot the central server and updates only happen when I'm
53 > in the office. I'd use a central build host and my laptop is just
54 > another client. Not all that important really, the build host is just an
55 > address from the client's point of view
56
57 I don't think I'm making the connection here. The central server
58 can't do any unattended building and pushing, correct? So I would
59 need to be around either way I think.
60
61 I'm hoping I can emerge every package on my laptop that every other
62 laptop needs. That way I can fix any build problems and update any
63 config files right on my own system. Then I would push config file
64 differences to all of the other laptops. Then each laptop could
65 emerge its own stuff unattended.
66
67 >> OK, I'm thinking over how much variation there would be from laptop to
68 >> laptop:
69 >>
70 >> 1. /etc/runlevels/default/* would vary of course.
71 >> 2. /etc/conf.d/net would vary for the routers and my laptop which I
72 >> sometimes use as a router.
73 >> 3. /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf under the same conditions as #2.
74 >> 4. Users and /home would vary but the office workstations could all be
75 >> identical in this regard.
76 >>
77 >> Am I missing anything? I can imagine everything else being totally
78 >> identical.
79 >>
80 >> What could I use to manage these differences?
81 >
82 > I'm sure there are numerous files in /etc/ with small niggling
83 > differences, you will find these as you go along.
84 >
85 > In a Linux world, these files actually do not subject themselves to
86 > centralization very well, they really do need a human with clue to make
87 > a decision whilst having access to the laptop in question. Every time
88 > we've brain-stormed this at work, we end up with only two realistic
90 > individual per-host configs into puppet and push. It comes down to the
91 > same thing, the only difference is the location where stuff is stored.
92
93 I'm sure I will need to carefully define those config differences.
94 Can I set up puppet (or similar) on my laptop and use it to push
95 config updates to all of the other laptops? That way the package I'm
96 using to push will be aware of config differences per system and push
97 everything correctly. You said not to use puppet, but does that apply
98 in this scenario?
99
100 > I'm slowly coming to conclsuion that you are trying to solve a problem
101 > with Gentoo that binary distros already solved a very long time ago. You
102 > are forcing yourself to become the sole maintainer of GrantOS and do all
103 > the heavy lifting of packaging. But, Mint and friends already did all
104 > that work already and frankly, they are much better at it than you or I.
105
106 Interesting. When I switched from Windows about 10 years ago I had
107 only a very brief run with Mandrake before I settled on Gentoo so I
108 don't *really* know what a binary distro is about. How would this
109 workflow be different on a binary distro?
110
111 - Grant