From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 19:06:27
1 On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:31:17 -0700, Grant wrote:
2
3 > > Personally, I wouldn't do the building and pushing on my own laptop,
4 > > that turns me inot the central server and updates only happen when I'm
5 > > in the office. I'd use a central build host and my laptop is just
6 > > another client. Not all that important really, the build host is just
7 > > an address from the client's point of view
8 >
9 > I don't think I'm making the connection here. The central server
10 > can't do any unattended building and pushing, correct? So I would
11 > need to be around either way I think.
12
13 If you ran the central server in a VM, you could have it run "emerge
14 --sync && emerge -uDN @world" from cron. You could do this without a VM,
15 but a VM allows you to take snapshots before each sync/build cycle, so
16 that you can roll back if an update breaks it.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach.