From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Desperately need advice on fixing a corrupt XFS partition
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:15:16
1 On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman writes:
3 >
4 >> I accidentally sent this from the wrong email address the first time,
5 >> not sure if it went through to the list so I'm sending it again (I
6 >> apologize if it is a duplicate).
7 >
8 > I don't think so.
9 >
10 >> If anyone has any ideas at all about how to go about fixing/mounting
11 >> this, I will be forever in your debt. Thanks.
12 >
13 > Before doing anything further with it, you should create an image of your
14 > dying drive and analyze that instead. And create a 2nd image, in case you
15 > mess up the first one while repairing it, and the drive really died in
16 > the meantime.
17 > dd if=/dev/sdf of=/mnt/sdf.img
18 > unplug drive
19 > cp /mnt/sdf.img /mnt/sdf.img2
20 > OR
21 > gzip -c /mnt/sdf.img > /mnt/sdf.img.gz
22 >
23 > You can then try photorec from app-admin/testdisk, but reiserfs is not
24 > really supported. But this looks promising:
25 > http://antrix.net/journal/techtalk/reiserfs_data_recovery_howto.comments
26
27 Hi,
28
29 Thanks, to both who suggested making a dd image of the disk before
30 doing anything else. That is definitely a smart path and I will do
31 that, as soon as I buy another hard drive large enough. (It is a 320gb
32 drive and i only have spare 120gb drive and around same free space on
33 my windows vista box, and only a few gigs free on my linux box).
34 TigerDirect has a 1tb drive for $79.99 USD after rebate, so that seems
35 like a good deal. I will use it for recovery (hopefully) and then
36 format and give it as an xmas gift. :)
37
38 it is XFS not Reiser, and XFS is not even mentioned by the PhotoRec
39 site but it's worth a shot. If it doesn't include filenames it may be
40 almost worse than losing it (then I'll have to categorize and name
41 them all ... ugh :P)
42
43 The good news is that I defragmented the files on it just days ago, so
44 at least they should be contiguous. however the vast majority of the
45 space is video which will reduce the likelihood of it being contiguous
46 if it's a 1gig+ file size.
47
48 As to why I had XFS on an external drive... there is no reason. It was
49 an empty drive and I was using it to experiment with different FS and
50 it happened to be formatted as XFS when I decided to use it for
51 "temporary" storage. Until recently it was full of MAME roms and TV
52 shows and things like that which would be easily replaced :P of course
53 it waited until it had personal files before breaking... it's a law of
54 hard drives.
55
56 On Google I saw about this Windows program called UFS Explorer that
57 claims to be able to recover from XFS; from the description on the
58 site it sounds too good to be true (recover anything from anywhere,
59 basically)... I have not found any info about it other than the site
60 http://www.ufsexplorer.com/
61
62 Years ago when I had a similar problem in a JFS drive I found some
63 shareware JFS recover that scanned the whole disk and recovered
64 absolutely everything that was not on a bad sector... it was the best
65 $15 ever spent. In fact I purchased it twice just because I was so
66 happy. :)
67
68 Paul