From: billyd <billydw@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Order for Packages?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 23:05:48
1 On Wednesday 05 October 2005 05:00 pm, Roger Miliker wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 05 October 2005 23:39, billyd wrote:
3 > > I've been playing around with Gentoo 2005.1 trying to get it
4 > > installed using genkernel. I am a little beyond newbie with
5 > > linux but still in a steep learning curve. I am at the point
6 > > in this installation where I can start installing packages.
7 > > The handbook uses kde as an example.
8 > >
9 > > My question: Is there an order in which packages need to be
10 > > installed. For example, should x11-xorg be installed before
11 > > kde?
12 > >
13 > > Thanks,
14 >
15 > Then handbook part you are referring to means the packages from
16 > the packages iso. The correct command would be emerge --usepkg
17 > kde-meta (to use the binaries off the packages.iso). portage
18 > takes care of the dependencies of packages automatically, so it
19 > will install xorg-x11 before anything that needs it like kde.
20 >
21 > If you haven't done a networkless install (stage3, snapshot,
22 > packages.iso, no emerge --sync) it works the same way except it
23 > downloads and compiles things.
24 >
25 > So in short: no need for a special order, since portage/emerge
26 > takes care of the dependencies for you.
27 >
28 > Roger
29
30 Thanks, Roger. That was very helpful.
31
32 Bill
36 Billy
37 billydw@×××××××××.com