From: Roger Miliker <roger_miliker@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Order for Packages?
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:07:44
1 On Wednesday 05 October 2005 23:39, billyd wrote:
2 > I've been playing around with Gentoo 2005.1 trying to get it
3 > installed using genkernel. I am a little beyond newbie with linux
4 > but still in a steep learning curve. I am at the point in this
5 > installation where I can start installing packages. The handbook
6 > uses kde as an example.
7 >
8 > My question: Is there an order in which packages need to be
9 > installed. For example, should x11-xorg be installed before kde?
10 >
11 > Thanks,
12
13 Then handbook part you are referring to means the packages from the packages
14 iso. The correct command would be emerge --usepkg kde-meta (to use the
15 binaries off the packages.iso). portage takes care of the dependencies of
16 packages automatically, so it will install xorg-x11 before anything that
17 needs it like kde.
18
19 If you haven't done a networkless install (stage3, snapshot, packages.iso, no
20 emerge --sync) it works the same way except it downloads and compiles things.
21
22 So in short: no need for a special order, since portage/emerge takes care of
23 the dependencies for you.
24
25 Roger
26 --