From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo livedvd kernel
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:44:43
1 On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 15:43:21 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > The kernel is a file on the DVD, not buried in the squashfs
4 > > filesystem - the kernel is needed to mount that filesystem. Given the
5 > > limited number of files on the DVD it quickest to send the lot to
6 > > file.
7 >
8 > Once booted up, I find did not find a file with kernel as part of the
9 > name on neither the minimalcd or livedvd. Usage of "vmlinux" was an
10 > oversite on my part.
11
12 The kernel is just a file, it can be called anything. It is the contents
13 that are important, which is why I used file.
14
15 > When I used "vmlinux" to qualify the find search, I found those
16 > previously mentioned, on the booted up medias. Like I told likeWahoa,
17 > I'll have to check there once I unmount the media. I guess I could
18 > download and isoimage and pull it apart, or burn it to usb and look.
19 > For now, I've found something sufficient. With what you and Rich have
20 > said, I also can parse out many different kernels to look at.
21
22 Either mountthe DVD or loop mount the ISO image, which is what I did, to
23 browse its contents.
26 > > % find -type f -exec file {} + | grep kernel
27 > > ./boot/memtest86: Linux x86 kernel
28 > > ./isolinux/gentoo: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage.....
29 > > ./isolinux/kernels.msg: ASCII text
30
31 Or, as suggested previously, look at the bootloader config file, that
32 will tell you the location of the kernel.
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 There was a young man from the border
39 Who had an attention disorder.
40 When he reached the last line
41 He would run out of time
42 And