From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo livedvd kernel
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 15:43:51
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > The kernel is a file on the DVD, not buried in the squashfs filesystem -
5 > the kernel is needed to mount that filesystem. Given the limited number
6 > of files on the DVD it quickest to send the lot to file.
7
8 Once booted up, I find did not find a file with kernel as part of the
9 name on neither the minimalcd or livedvd. Usage of "vmlinux" was an
10 oversite on my part.
11
12 When I used "vmlinux" to qualify the find search, I found those previously
13 mentioned, on the booted up medias. Like I told likeWahoa, I'll have to
14 check there once I unmount the media. I guess I could download and isoimage
15 and pull it apart, or burn it to usb and look. For now, I've found something
16 sufficient. With what you and Rich have said, I also can parse out
17 many different kernels to look at.
20 > % find -type f -exec file {} + | grep kernel
21 > ./boot/memtest86: Linux x86 kernel
22 > ./isolinux/gentoo: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage.....
23 > ./isolinux/kernels.msg: ASCII text
26 thx,
27 James