From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH xterm not working properly during install
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 04:40:18
1 On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 06:06:56AM +0200, tastytea wrote
2 > On 2020-07-07 22:02-0400 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >
4 > > It turns out that make.conf was majorly butchered after I had done
5 > > some "simple" edits over ssh. This seems to be a terminfo problem, so
6 > > it may apply to more than just nano. But see...
7 > > https://serverfault.com/questions/329154/ssh-garbling-characters-in-vim-nano-on-remote-server
8 > > https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/1436
9 > >
10 > > I don't understand the workings of terminfo so my 3-part question
11 > > is...
12 > >
13 > > 1) Can I do an incantation on the laptop (install machine) to make it
14 > > understand my desktop's xterm?
15 >
16 > Your 2 hyperlinks mention that executing `export TERM=xterm-color` on
17 > your laptop should work around the issue.
18
19 Thanks, I missed that. I'll try again and see how it goes.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications