From: tastytea <tastytea+gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH xterm not working properly during install
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 04:07:06
1 On 2020-07-07 22:02-0400 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > […]
4 >
5 > It turns out that make.conf was majorly butchered after I had done
6 > some "simple" edits over ssh. This seems to be a terminfo problem, so
7 > it may apply to more than just nano. But see...
8 > https://serverfault.com/questions/329154/ssh-garbling-characters-in-vim-nano-on-remote-server
9 > https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/1436
10 >
11 > I don't understand the workings of terminfo so my 3-part question
12 > is...
13 >
14 > 1) Can I do an incantation on the laptop (install machine) to make it
15 > understand my desktop's xterm?
16
17 Your 2 hyperlinks mention that executing `export TERM=xterm-color` on
18 your laptop should work around the issue.
19
20 Kind regards, tastytea