From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [footnote] The purpose of pam
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:05:18
1 On Wednesday 27 January 2010 11:01:52 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 04:34:56PM -0800, walt wrote:
3 > > After thinking awhile I realized that pam can be used to
4 > > combine muliple forms of authentication to reduce the well
5 > > documented risk of single-factor authentication (like our
6 > > traditional password system).
7 > >
8 > > Example: if I have an ordinary password, plus an ssh key
9 > > stored on a USB stick, plus a biometric device like an
10 > > eye scanner or a fingerprint scanner, I can then use any
11 > > or all of those methods to identify myself to the system
12 > > by configuring pam in the appropriate way.
13 >
14 > Yes.
15 >
16 > First look at the PAM configuration section of this:
17 >
18 > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_enable_the_fingerprint_reader#Login_vi
19 > a_pam_bioapi
20 >
21 > Now if instead of having
22 >
23 > auth sufficient pam_unix.so ...
24 > auth sufficient pam_bioapi.so ...
25 >
26 > which says that either password log-in OR fingerprint scanner is
27 > enough, you change the first line to "auth required ...", per the docs
28 >
29 > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/sag-configuration-f
30 > ile.html
31 >
32 > you will then have a behaviour where BOTH password and fingerprint is
33 > involved. I think PAM is a Pretty Good Idea and its implementation is
34 > Very Cool, but I also think it is completely unnecessary on _my_
35 > laptop.
36
37 What would be the pam-way to only allow remote ssh logins using pubkeys and
38 completely forbid ssh paswd? I used to remove allow pam from sshd_config. Is
39 there a better pam-centric way of doing the same thing?
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick