From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wastebin or trash?
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2016 07:55:46
1 On Thursday 08 Sep 2016 21:52:19 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 08 Sep 2016 09:07:50 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Sorry gents, but this has nothing to do with IMAP: the phenomenon is
4 > > purely internal to KMail. Besides, I only have POP3 accounts (which I
5 > > suppose I could have said before but it didn't seem significant).
6 >
7 > Ahh! POP3 is just a bucket of messages. It does not have a concept of
8 > mailboxes/folders (not on the server anyway). Local folders and messages
9 > being dropped into them is a manual exercise by the user, or achieved by
10 > client filters. None of this is duplicated on the server.
11 >
12 > When you download a message and mark it for deletion, it is not not
13 > deleted until the server enters the UPDATE stage, when the client quits.
14 > The POP3 server does not move the deleted message anywhere, in another
15 > mailbox and it will not mirror any moves of messages into local folders
16 > on the client.
17
18 Yes, of course I know all that. It's why I see the problem lying at KMail's
19 door.
20
21 > > Alan is closest: it's a matter of string contents somewhere in the KMail
22 > > code. I just don't know whereabouts - nor do I want to fiddle around in
23 > > the guts of the program, which is quite fragile enough already. One
24 > > thing is being defined twice, or else it's defined once and only called
25 > > in one of the two places where it should be, the other being hard
26 > > coded.
27 > >
28 > > I've noticed both "trash" and "Wastebin" being used at different times
29 > > over the last year, which hints at instability of program design and
30 > > development management systems.
31 >
32 > Interestingly, my "Local Folders" contains a "trash" folder. I don't use
33 > local folders (all my accounts are IMAP4) so I haven't paid attention to
34 > this trash folder, or its name. I recall though that sometimes deleted
35 > messages end up there, if the IMAP account is offline when I happened to
36 > delete the message. From my failing memory I can attest this local
37 > folder has been always called "trash", but I could well be mistaken.
38
39 I wonder now whether it was worth starting this thread at all. :P
42 Rgds
43 Peter