From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wastebin or trash?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 20:52:45
1 On Thursday 08 Sep 2016 09:07:50 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > Sorry gents, but this has nothing to do with IMAP: the phenomenon is purely
4 > internal to KMail. Besides, I only have POP3 accounts (which I suppose I
5 > could have said before but it didn't seem significant).
6
7 Ahh! POP3 is just a bucket of messages. It does not have a concept of
8 mailboxes/folders (not on the server anyway). Local folders and messages
9 being dropped into them is a manual exercise by the user, or achieved by
10 client filters. None of this is duplicated on the server.
11
12 When you download a message and mark it for deletion, it is not not deleted
13 until the server enters the UPDATE stage, when the client quits. The POP3
14 server does not move the deleted message anywhere, in another mailbox and it
15 will not mirror any moves of messages into local folders on the client.
18 > Alan is closest: it's a matter of string contents somewhere in the KMail
19 > code. I just don't know whereabouts - nor do I want to fiddle around in the
20 > guts of the program, which is quite fragile enough already. One thing is
21 > being defined twice, or else it's defined once and only called in one of the
22 > two places where it should be, the other being hard coded.
23 >
24 > I've noticed both "trash" and "Wastebin" being used at different times over
25 > the last year, which hints at instability of program design and development
26 > management systems.
27
28 Interestingly, my "Local Folders" contains a "trash" folder. I don't use
29 local folders (all my accounts are IMAP4) so I haven't paid attention to this
30 trash folder, or its name. I recall though that sometimes deleted messages
31 end up there, if the IMAP account is offline when I happened to delete the
32 message. From my failing memory I can attest this local folder has been
33 always called "trash", but I could well be mistaken.
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick