From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wastebin or trash?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 08:08:09
1 On Wednesday 07 Sep 2016 20:28:27 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 07 Sep 2016 20:51:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On 07/09/2016 19:53, Simon Thelen wrote:
4 > > > On 16-09-07 at 18:41, Mick wrote:
5 > > >> On Thursday 08 Sep 2016 00:47:13 Andrew Lowe wrote:
6 > > >>> On 07/09/16 23:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
7 > > >>>> Hello list,
8 > > >>>>
9 > > >>>> As I said in the "emerge @system" thread, I've built a fresh ~amd64
10 > > >>>> system
11 > > >>>> on this i7 box. I also created a new user directory for myself,
12 > > >>>> copying
13 > > >>>> in
14 > > >>>> only .bash*, .gkrellm2 and .mozilla.
15 > > >>>>
16 > > >>>> After spending a good long time setting up KDE and friends just the
17 > > >>>> way
18 > > >>>> I
19 > > >>>> like them, the one remaining task was to set up KMail and import my
20 > > >>>> 1000-or- so messages. That worked all right, with just the one same
21 > > >>>> exception as before: KMail's recycle bin is call "trash" in the
22 > > >>>> folder
23 > > >>>> list, but the right-click menu on it offers to "empty wastebin".
24 > > >>>>
25 > > >>>> I'm sure I have all my linguas, l10ns i18ns and everything set up
26 > > >>>> right,
27 > > >>>> so
28 > > >>>> I think I'm just seeing an intermediate stage in KMail development.
29 > > >>>>
30 > > >>>> Is anyone else seeing this?
31 > > >>>>
32 > > >>> I'm reading this whilst sitting in Perth, Australia so both
33 should
34 >
35 > read
36 >
37 > > >>> "Rubbish Bin" or possibly "Wheelie Bin" ;)
38 > > >>
39 > > >> One IMAP4 account of mine shows 'Bin' and another shows 'Trash'. As
40 > > >> I
41 > > >> understand it you need to configure the locale on the mail server.
42 > > >
43 > > > IMAP itself does not have a concept of "Trash", the creation of such a
44 > > > mailbox is the prerogative of the client (unless the server itself
45 > > > feels
46 > > > that the imap client doesn't know what it's doing and moves deleted
47 > > > emails into a different mailbox; not that I've ever seen a mail server
48 > > > do that), therefore changing the locale on the mail server won't help
49 > > > and it is indeed something on the client that needs to be changed.
50 >
51 > Yes, you're right. The IMAP4 protocol uses tags to signify deleted
52 > messages, which until they are expunged stay on the server.
53 >
54 > Most mail clients typically move messages flagged as deleted into a
55 > bin/trash/deleted IMAP4 mailbox (i.e. the representation of a mail client
56 > folder) if configured to do so. The name of the mailbox is down to the
57 > user, if created manually, or down to the presets of the mail client GUI.
58 > If a webmail or desktop mail client is used, then the language settings
59 > (on the webmail server or local PC) come into play.
60 >
61 > One of my accounts has GB settings, hence the 'bin' folder. The other
62 > appears to have US settings, hence the 'trash' folder.
63 >
64 > > Or maybe wastebin in "empty wastebin" is a simple common noun whereas
65 > > the folder called "Trash" is a proper noun.
66 > >
67 > > KDE widgets in my experience often have oddities like this.
68 > >
69 > > If it's something like that, you may have to find the file containing
70 > > display strings and change it there
71 >
72 > This may be a bit drastic. In my experience changing locale on the local
73 > client, or the remote webmail server if one exists sorts this out.
74 >
75 > Using local Vs server-side subscriptions on Kmail may affect the outcome
76 > between different clients.
77
78 Sorry gents, but this has nothing to do with IMAP: the phenomenon is purely
79 internal to KMail. Besides, I only have POP3 accounts (which I suppose I
80 could have said before but it didn't seem significant).
81
82 Alan is closest: it's a matter of string contents somewhere in the KMail
83 code. I just don't know whereabouts - nor do I want to fiddle around in the
84 guts of the program, which is quite fragile enough already. One thing is
85 being defined twice, or else it's defined once and only called in one of the
86 two places where it should be, the other being hard coded.
87
88 I've noticed both "trash" and "Wastebin" being used at different times over
89 the last year, which hints at instability of program design and development
90 management systems.
93 Rgds
94 Peter