From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wastebin or trash?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 19:28:49
1 On Wednesday 07 Sep 2016 20:51:51 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 07/09/2016 19:53, Simon Thelen wrote:
3 > > On 16-09-07 at 18:41, Mick wrote:
4 > >> On Thursday 08 Sep 2016 00:47:13 Andrew Lowe wrote:
5 > >>> On 07/09/16 23:45, Peter Humphrey wrote:
6 > >>>> Hello list,
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>> As I said in the "emerge @system" thread, I've built a fresh ~amd64
9 > >>>> system
10 > >>>> on this i7 box. I also created a new user directory for myself, copying
11 > >>>> in
12 > >>>> only .bash*, .gkrellm2 and .mozilla.
13 > >>>>
14 > >>>> After spending a good long time setting up KDE and friends just the way
15 > >>>> I
16 > >>>> like them, the one remaining task was to set up KMail and import my
17 > >>>> 1000-or- so messages. That worked all right, with just the one same
18 > >>>> exception as before: KMail's recycle bin is call "trash" in the folder
19 > >>>> list, but the right-click menu on it offers to "empty wastebin".
20 > >>>>
21 > >>>> I'm sure I have all my linguas, l10ns i18ns and everything set up
22 > >>>> right,
23 > >>>> so
24 > >>>> I think I'm just seeing an intermediate stage in KMail development.
25 > >>>>
26 > >>>> Is anyone else seeing this?
27 > >>>>
28 > >>> I'm reading this whilst sitting in Perth, Australia so both should
29 read
30 > >>>
31 > >>> "Rubbish Bin" or possibly "Wheelie Bin" ;)
32 > >>
33 > >> One IMAP4 account of mine shows 'Bin' and another shows 'Trash'. As I
34 > >> understand it you need to configure the locale on the mail server.
35 > >
36 > > IMAP itself does not have a concept of "Trash", the creation of such a
37 > > mailbox is the prerogative of the client (unless the server itself feels
38 > > that the imap client doesn't know what it's doing and moves deleted
39 > > emails into a different mailbox; not that I've ever seen a mail server
40 > > do that), therefore changing the locale on the mail server won't help
41 > > and it is indeed something on the client that needs to be changed.
42
43 Yes, you're right. The IMAP4 protocol uses tags to signify deleted messages,
44 which until they are expunged stay on the server.
45
46 Most mail clients typically move messages flagged as deleted into a
47 bin/trash/deleted IMAP4 mailbox (i.e. the representation of a mail client
48 folder) if configured to do so. The name of the mailbox is down to the user,
49 if created manually, or down to the presets of the mail client GUI. If a
50 webmail or desktop mail client is used, then the language settings (on the
51 webmail server or local PC) come into play.
52
53 One of my accounts has GB settings, hence the 'bin' folder. The other appears
54 to have US settings, hence the 'trash' folder.
57 > Or maybe wastebin in "empty wastebin" is a simple common noun whereas
58 > the folder called "Trash" is a proper noun.
59 >
60 > KDE widgets in my experience often have oddities like this.
61 >
62 > If it's something like that, you may have to find the file containing
63 > display strings and change it there
64
65 This may be a bit drastic. In my experience changing locale on the local
66 client, or the remote webmail server if one exists sorts this out.
67
68 Using local Vs server-side subscriptions on Kmail may affect the outcome
69 between different clients.
70 --
71 Regards,
72 Mick