From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:36:45
1 On Saturday, August 29, 2015 10:48:16 AM Dale wrote:
2 > Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> [150828 18:35]:
4 > >> 150828 Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >>> To really appreciate git you should understand git objects
6 > >>> and their references, what a commit, tree, and blob are.
7 > >>> Also, the whole copy-on-write concept and content-hashing concept.
8 > >>> I used to think git looked really complicated until I sat
9 > >>> through a 1 hr talk that focused mostly on the data model.
10 > >>> Once you understand the data model, you understand everything.
11 > >>> That doesn't take a lot of time. It does take a moderate amount of time
12 > >>> learning the right things. They're not found in the manpages.
13 > >>> Like I said, beautiful design, horrible interface.
14 > >> So is there a Gentoo doc -- Wiki, presumably --
15 > >> explaining to users -- users, not dev's or Git addicts --
16 > >> the essentials of Git, so that they can readily update using it ?
17 > >> If so, I'm willing to see if I can use it ;
18 > >> if not, I would suggest it sb a top priority for dev's to write.
19 > > You don't *need* to know anything about git to update using it.
20 > >
21 > > Just change your /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf as Rich outlined
22 > > (and move away your rsync'd /usr/portage or wherever your portage tree
23 > > goes.)
24 > >
25 > > Then when you emerge --sync (or emaint -A sync, etc.) it will sync via
26 > > git and emerge will work as always.
27 > >
28 > > Now if you want to do more or just want to learn more about git then
29 > > that's different.
30 > >
31 > > Todd
37 > I think what we are talking about is viewing things like the changelogs
38 > and such, which are currently not synced with the tree. Or did we
39 > change to some other topic and I missed it? I tracked back to Alan
40 > Mackenzie's split of this thread
41 > .
42 > Dale
43 >
44 > :-) :-)
47 It's probably easier to do this:
48
49 # cd /usr/portage
50 # rm -r *
51 # git clone <repo-uri> .
52
53 Then do the repos.conf changes. That way you don't have to worry about portage
54 doing a shallow clone. If you already did it then just unshallow it as Rich
55 pointed. Then to view the logs just:
56
57 #cd /usr/portage/cat/pkg
58 #git log .
59
60 Then 'git show <first few digits of commit hash>' to view a commit diff. You can
61 use git use dev-vcs/tig if you find it easier though I thought it was pretty
62 useless so it only lasted about 10 secs. in my system.
63
64 So basicly the only change is that instead of:
65
66 # less ChangeLog (or whatever you use to read logs)
67
68 You'll do:
69
70 # git log .