From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:06:11
1 On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 11:09:06 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > Fine for your home PC, doesn't cut it on servers. I have the following
4 > in one of my world files:
5 >
6 > dev-php/PEAR-Mail
7 > dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime
8 > dev-php/PEAR-PEAR
9 > dev-php/PEAR-Structures_Graph
10 >
11 > which of those do I want? At least one of them was installed to support
12 > a customer's custom PHP application. Maybe all of them were and they
13 > all belong in world. No one knows, this server is older than the
14 > current --update behavior.
15 >
16 > So which ones can I remove?
17
18 I use sets to deal with this, so much simpler to organise than a single
19 world file. If I am installing something from outside of portage and it
20 has dependencies, I create a set listing those dependencies and emerge
21 that set. If I remove the package I can remove the set and depclean will
22 unmerge anything not needed by other packages.
23
24 For example, I use a perl script called zenus (specific to my ISP) and
25 /etc/portage/sets/zenus-deps contains
26
27 dev-perl/SOAP-Lite
28 perl-gcpan/SOAP-DateTime
29 dev-perl/Class-Inspector
30 dev-perl/Data-Dumper-Concise
31
32 Those packages may or may not be needed by anything else, but a set means
33 I keep them installed without cluttering world. I do similar for specific
34 projects, especially short term ones so I can clean up after.
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 Committee (noun): A group of people spending hours taking minutes