From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:10:25
1 On 01/02/2012 11:01 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 >
3 > I tell by knowing which files I want in @world. Everything in world
4 > should be a package __I__ specifically want to use. Everything in
5 > world (on my machines anyway) is something:
6 >
7 > 1) I'd call from the command line
8 > 2) Need to write a little software myself, most specifically a library
9 > 3) Aid in displaying things, like font packages
10 > 4) Something required by Gentoo that I don't totally understand, like
11 > a virtual package.
12 >
13 > I just look through every so often and make sure everything seems to
14 > meet those sorts of requirements. When I find a library or something
15 > else then:
16 >
17 > 1) I make sure I'm clean with emerge -DuN @world AND emerge -p --depclean
18 > 2) I'll delete the questionable item
19 > 3) I'll see what happens with the two commands in #1
20 >
21 > To me it's pretty straight forward, but I'm also not bothered at all
22 > by the idea that emerge package and emerge -u package do the same
23 > thing. A machine that doesn't have a package, when updated, should
24 > have the package and it should (IMO) be in world, but that's just me.
25
26 Fine for your home PC, doesn't cut it on servers. I have the following
27 in one of my world files:
28
29 dev-php/PEAR-Mail
30 dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime
31 dev-php/PEAR-PEAR
32 dev-php/PEAR-Structures_Graph
33
34 which of those do I want? At least one of them was installed to support
35 a customer's custom PHP application. Maybe all of them were and they all
36 belong in world. No one knows, this server is older than the current
37 --update behavior.
38
39 So which ones can I remove?
40
41 Solutions involving time travel and/or losing customers will be
42 disqualified.