From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:17:33
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2012 11:01 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 >> I tell by knowing which files I want in @world. Everything in world
6 >> should be a package __I__ specifically want to use. Everything in
7 >> world (on my machines anyway) is something:
8 >>
9 >> 1)  I'd call from the command line
10 >> 2) Need to write a little software myself, most specifically a library
11 >> 3) Aid in displaying things, like font packages
12 >> 4) Something required by Gentoo that I don't totally understand, like
13 >> a virtual package.
14 >>
15 >> I just look through every so often and make sure everything seems to
16 >> meet those sorts of requirements. When I find a library or something
17 >> else then:
18 >>
19 >> 1) I make sure I'm clean with emerge -DuN @world AND emerge -p --depclean
20 >> 2) I'll delete the questionable item
21 >> 3) I'll see what happens with the two commands in #1
22 >>
23 >> To me it's pretty straight forward, but I'm also not bothered at all
24 >> by the idea that emerge package and emerge -u package do the same
25 >> thing. A machine that doesn't have a package, when updated, should
26 >> have the package and it should (IMO) be in world, but that's just me.
29 > Fine for your home PC, doesn't cut it on servers. I have the following in
30 > one of my world files:
31 >
32 >  dev-php/PEAR-Mail
33 >  dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime
34 >  dev-php/PEAR-PEAR
35 >  dev-php/PEAR-Structures_Graph
36 >
37 > which of those do I want? At least one of them was installed to support a
38 > customer's custom PHP application. Maybe all of them were and they all
39 > belong in world. No one knows, this server is older than the current
40 > --update behavior.
41 >
42 > So which ones can I remove?
43 >
44 > Solutions involving time travel and/or losing customers will be
45 > disqualified.
46
47 Make a backup copy of your world file.
48
49 1a. Remove those four lines.
50 2a. emerge -p --depclean
51 3a. Did any of those show up in the to-be-removed set? Add them back.
52
53 Alternately:
54 1b. emerge -pev --tree --with-bdeps=y @world
55 2b Find those packages in the output. The tree form of the display
56 will help you see if anything is depending on them.
57 3b. If anything is depending on them, you should be able to safely
58 remove them from your world file. I'd follow up with the 1a, 2a, 3a
59 solution to be sure.
62 :wq