From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:36:04
1 On 01/02/2012 11:16 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Fine for your home PC, doesn't cut it on servers. I have the following in
4 >> one of my world files:
5 >>
6 >> dev-php/PEAR-Mail
7 >> dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime
8 >> dev-php/PEAR-PEAR
9 >> dev-php/PEAR-Structures_Graph
10 >>
11 >> which of those do I want? At least one of them was installed to support a
12 >> customer's custom PHP application. Maybe all of them were and they all
13 >> belong in world. No one knows, this server is older than the current
14 >> --update behavior.
15 >>
16 >> So which ones can I remove?
17 >>
18 >> Solutions involving time travel and/or losing customers will be
19 >> disqualified.
20 >
21 > Make a backup copy of your world file.
22 >
23 > 1a. Remove those four lines.
24 > 2a. emerge -p --depclean
25 > 3a. Did any of those show up in the to-be-removed set? Add them back.
26 >
27 > Alternately:
28 > 1b. emerge -pev --tree --with-bdeps=y @world
29 > 2b Find those packages in the output. The tree form of the display
30 > will help you see if anything is depending on them.
31 > 3b. If anything is depending on them, you should be able to safely
32 > remove them from your world file. I'd follow up with the 1a, 2a, 3a
33 > solution to be sure.
36 Sorry, but these won't work.
37
38 Let's say that dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime has a dependency on
39 dev-php/PEAR-Mail, but I have a customer who needs dev-php/PEAR-Mail for
40 a contact form.
41
42 Following your process, I would remove dev-php/PEAR-Mail from my world
43 file. If I ever remove dev-php/PEAR-Mail_Mime, depclean will remove
44 PEAR-Mail and break the guy's site.