From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] public mail server for ELOG?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:49:22
1 On Wednesday 28 October 2009 23:22:44 Grant wrote:
2 > > If the relay you use requires a username/password or ssl, it supports
3 > > that too.
4 >
5 > So I need a relay somewhere along with ssmtp to get a message to an
6 > email address?
7 >
8 > > [The receiving smtp server likely does not require a username/password,
9 > > but it is equally likely to not accept connection direct from you, hence
10 > > you should use your ISPs mail relay]
11 >
12 > I likely can't use my ISP's mail relay when traveling, right?
13
14 The answer to both is "it depends"
15
16 Mail admins configure their systems as they see fit. If the receiving server
17 accepts your mail, all is fine. If not, you have to relay through a server
18 they will accept mail from.
19
20 While travelling, you will encounter three possibilities:
21
22 1. The relay is open. This is bad because it is useful for spam. Few
23 knowledgeable admins do this.
24
25 2. (The usual case). Your ISP only accepts relay mail from their own IP
26 address range. While travelling this is unlikely to work.
27
28 3. Your ISP implements authentication on the relay. So you can use it as a
29 relay as long as you supply a username/password to prove you are a legit user.
30
31 Another option is if the ISP gives you a vpn facility to log onto their
32 network. This is generally expensive.
33
34 A final option is to use gmail.
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com