From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] public mail server for ELOG?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:22:49
1 >> >> > That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
2 >> >> > maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just
3 >> >> > read the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
4 >> >> >
5 >> >> > But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has
6 >> >> > to do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
7 >> >> >
8 >> >> > My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
9 >> >> > running on his maschine.
10 >> >> >
11 >> >> > Greetings
12 >> >> >
13 >> >> > Sebastian
14 >> >>
15 >> >> then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.
16 >> >>
17 >> >> mail is just an additional bonus feature.
18 >> >
19 >> > His initial mail said that he would like a copy of elogs to go to his
20 >> > inbox at his ISP. Later mails imply he might want to read them over IMAP
21 >> > so they are accessible at multiple locations.
22 >> >
23 >> > Sebastian,
24 >> >
25 >> > Have you looked at ssmtp? Very light, very small and you can protect your
26 >> > login password with Unix file permissions instead of leaving them open in
27 >> > make.conf
28 >>
29 >> Could I use ssmtp to send elog mail to my email address?  I wouldn't
30 >> even need a login password if this is all I use it for, right?
31 >
32 > Yes.
33 >
34 > ssmtp is an email sender, it knows how to talk smtp to receiving servers or to
35 > relays. It doesn't receive mails.
36 >
37 > If the relay you use requires a username/password or ssl, it supports that
38 > too.
39
40 So I need a relay somewhere along with ssmtp to get a message to an
41 email address?
42
43 > [The receiving smtp server likely does not require a username/password, but it
44 > is equally likely to not accept connection direct from you, hence you should
45 > use your ISPs mail relay]
46
47 I likely can't use my ISP's mail relay when traveling, right?
48
49 - Grant