From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: public mail server for ELOG?
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:38:18
1 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 [...]
6 > So I need a relay somewhere along with ssmtp to get a message to an
7 > email address?
8
9 Yes, and I know of at least one that will work for you.
10
11 If you have a newsguy mail account, newsguy's smtp servers will allow
12 you to connect regardless of your laptops' outward IP. (unless it is a
13 blackballed Domain or something)
14
15 Don't now if its worth it to you to pay for a newsguy mail account but
16 I think that would work. It has for me in the past.
17
18 I recommend using sendmail not ssmtp. Sendmail is better documented
19 than any of the others... well at least ones I have fiddled with.
20
21 I suppose ssmtp is all you need but why not use the real McCoy? Its
22 easy enough to setup. And in fact setting up sendmail to `masquerade'
23 your IP as the domain of your mail account is easy enough, and that
24 alone may get what you want to work.
25
26 So you would setup sendmail to use your mail accounts smtp server as
27 what is called the `SMART_HOST', and to masquerade your domain as well
28 as the all important `Envelope' (The real sender of mail info)
29
30 The gotcha here is that any of the methods offered will almost
31 certainly require a username and passwd to connect to the smtp
32 server.
33
34 In the case of sendmail it would be in a root owned file in /etc/mail
35 that I believe can be set chmod 600. I'll try it and let you know if
36 you are interested.