From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] public mail server for ELOG?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:35:01
1 On Wednesday 28 October 2009 21:27:48 Grant wrote:
2 > >> > That kind of delivery limits the access to this mails to the local
3 > >> > maschine. If I want to read local I don't need mails, I could just
4 > >> > read the logfiles from portage in /var/log/
5 > >> >
6 > >> > But I am aware that solving this problem is nothing that portage has
7 > >> > to do, as it is no problem with portage at all.
8 > >> >
9 > >> > My mail was just to show that not everyone has a local mailserver
10 > >> > running on his maschine.
11 > >> >
12 > >> > Greetings
13 > >> >
14 > >> > Sebastian
15 > >>
16 > >> then let it store everything as elog and read that with elogv.
17 > >>
18 > >> mail is just an additional bonus feature.
19 > >
20 > > His initial mail said that he would like a copy of elogs to go to his
21 > > inbox at his ISP. Later mails imply he might want to read them over IMAP
22 > > so they are accessible at multiple locations.
23 > >
24 > > Sebastian,
25 > >
26 > > Have you looked at ssmtp? Very light, very small and you can protect your
27 > > login password with Unix file permissions instead of leaving them open in
28 > > make.conf
29 >
30 > Could I use ssmtp to send elog mail to my email address? I wouldn't
31 > even need a login password if this is all I use it for, right?
32
33 Yes.
34
35 ssmtp is an email sender, it knows how to talk smtp to receiving servers or to
36 relays. It doesn't receive mails.
37
38 If the relay you use requires a username/password or ssl, it supports that
39 too.
40
41 [The receiving smtp server likely does not require a username/password, but it
42 is equally likely to not accept connection direct from you, hence you should
43 use your ISPs mail relay]
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com