From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Recovering partitions from an imaged drive
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:28:08
1 Tom Eastman wrote:
2
3 > How can I take this image of ('hda') and mount the filesystem
4 > ('hda1') that's inside it?
5
6 I'm not sure, but mounting the whole hda as loopback could work (seem
7 to remember a thread about this some time ago on the list, search the
8 archives).
9 In case it does not, try this. Since the real partitions usually start
10 at the second sector (the first being the MBR that holds the
11 bootloader and the partition table), I guess (iff the hard disk had
12 only one partition taking all the space) you can extract only the
13 hda1 partition by dd'ing the file onto another one but this time
14 skipping the first sector, ie something like
15
16 dd if=hda.img of=hda1.img bs=512 skip=1
17
18 or so.
19
20 Hope this works.