From: Tom Eastman <tom@×××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: Recovering partitions from an imaged drive
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 22:20:34
1 Hey guys, this is a non-gentoo question but I figure someone on here will
2 have the answer I seek :-)
3
4 My father's laptop (running Windows XP) managed to detonate itself a few
5 days back and I'm trying to recover information from it. Before we wiped
6 the hard drive I loaded a LiveCD and imaged the entire hard drive using
7 'dd':
8
9 dd if=/dev/hda of=/some/location/on/nfs
10
11 So I have a 4.3GB file on my desktop which is the complete hard drive of his
12 laptop.
13
14 So here's my question, if I had just gone 'dd if=/dev/hda1' it would have
15 been easy to mount the file as a loopback filesystem and get the files off
16 of it, but since I dd'ed the *entire* disk I have all the extra crud as
17 well like boot sectors and partition tables and such.
18
19 How can I take this image of ('hda') and mount the filesystem ('hda1')
20 that's inside it?
21
22 Thanks!
23