From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:44:45
1 James Tanis wrote:
4 >In the Linux kernel it may be deprecated but OSS is not obsolete. Other
5 >operating systems besides Linux need sound after all :).
9 For the kernel, deprecated == likely to be removed soon == obsolete.
10 Now, it is true that only the OSS drivers are deprecated, not the OSS
11 emulation provided by ALSA.
12
13 I have no problem with applications supporting OSS for operating systems
14 besides Linux, because as you say, that is the standard for those
15 systems. I do have a problem with apps that insist on *only* supporting
16 OSS for Linux. What really bugs me is that most of the offending apps
17 are commercial applications that don't even have ports for Solaris,
18 FreeBSD, etc!! Besides, it isn't like supporting multiple sound APIs is
19 really all that hard....
20
21 >>Note that, AFAIK, there is no mixing possible with the OSS API. Your
25 >It does support mixing.
29 According to the dmix HOWTO, you are correct, it should work. I guess I
30 just gave up too easily, and I stand corrected. Thanks.
31
32 -Richard
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list