From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:06:18
1 > For the kernel, deprecated == likely to be removed soon ==
2 > obsolete. Now, it is true that only the OSS drivers are
3 > deprecated, not the OSS emulation provided by ALSA.
4
5 The question is if the ALSA OSS emulation is a good idea.
6 Because it exists, people are not urged to use ALSA.
7
8 > I have no problem with applications supporting OSS for
9 > operating systems besides Linux, because as you say, that
10 > is the standard for those systems.  I do have a problem
11 > with apps that insist on *only* supporting OSS for Linux.
12
13 That's true.
14
15 >  What really bugs me is that most of the offending apps are
16 > commercial applications that don't even have ports for
17 > Solaris, FreeBSD, etc!!  Besides, it isn't like supporting
18 > multiple sound APIs is really all that hard....
19 >
20 > >>Note that, AFAIK, there is no mixing possible with the
21 > >> OSS API.  Your
22 > >
23 > >It does support mixing.
26 > According to the dmix HOWTO, you are correct, it should
27 > work.  I guess I just gave up too easily, and I stand
28 > corrected.  Thanks.
29
30 If an application tries to access /dev/dsp, DMIX does - AFAIK
31 - not work transparently. INstead you have to start the
32 application using the aoss wrapper, maybe aoss skype or aoss
33 reaplay. This doesn't work convenient for the user.
34
35 Furthermore, there seems to be a bug so Skype will crash as
36 soon as it gets invoked via aoss (I don't know if it is a
37 Skype or an aoss bug).
38
39 So, if want to stay idle for incoming Skype calls, do not
40 start any other sound application because Skype blocks your
41 device...
44 Best regards
47 ce
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list