From: Bruce Burden <brucegb@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI and Linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 16:21:43
1 On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:36:18PM +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
2 >
3 > By way of contrast, I've been running Tyan and Supermicro boards with
4 > ATI radeon 9000 and 9200 cards for years without any issues on FreeBSD
5 > 4.8, 4.9, 5.3, 5.4 and now 6.0. I just use the supplied drivers that
6 > come with Xorg (XFree in the past).
7 >
8 I replaced a failed ATI 9700 PRO with a GeForce 6300. ATI
9 _NEVER_ supported that card with a Linux compatible driver.
10
11 I have an HP ZD8000 with the ATI X300 card in it. You will
12 never believe it, but... ATI _NEVER_ supported that card!!!
13
14 I look at the list of cards nVidia supports, and make the
15 decision to never again purchase another ATI card (okay, my
16 Tyan K8WE has ATI, and I will used the chip, but it will be
17 a firewall, so who cares?) simply due to their crappy support.
18
19 No, I don't use 3D - but, if I wanted to/needed to, I feel
20 nVidia at least offers me the chance of having it work. Now,
21 granted, it may not work, but at least I have the chance. Plus
22 nVidia offers native FreeBSD support, which is what my work-
23 station and firewall run.
24
25 Bruce
26 --
28 "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
29 - Thuganlitha
30 The Power and the Prophet
31 Robert Don Hughes
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list