From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI and Linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 03:47:46
1 fire-eyes wrote:
2 >
3 > I strongly suggest avoiding ATI on Linux. My first card was a Radeon 9000.
4 > With ati's drivers, the following things were a daily occurance: Complete
5 > system hangs (even sysreq didn't matter at this point), games showing severe
6 > tearing artifacts, random X deaths, etc.
7 >
8 > I got an Nvidia after that to replace it, and I never once had issues like
9 > that.
10
11 By way of contrast, I've been running Tyan and Supermicro boards with
12 ATI radeon 9000 and 9200 cards for years without any issues on FreeBSD
13 4.8, 4.9, 5.3, 5.4 and now 6.0. I just use the supplied drivers that
14 come with Xorg (XFree in the past).
15
16 I'm really only using the 2D features of the card I guess, as I don't do
17 games and the most adventurous I get graphics wise is Gimp :-), but
18 nonetheless for me the cards are good, fast and cheap!
19
20 Cheers
21
22 Mark