From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI and Linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 01:49:52
1 On Sunday 07 May 2006 18:54, JimD wrote:
2
3 > I am looking to get a new video card.  I have used an NVidia with Linux
4 > for a *long* time now.  I can't recall when I last bought an ATI card,
5 > at least 6 years or more.
6
7 Summary: ATI does make good hardware. However, good hardware paired with poor
8 drivers and very poor linux support results in an end result of: poor. Even
9 if you have to spend a little more cash, go with Nvidia. You will know where
10 the extra cash went.
11
12 Details:
13
14 I strongly suggest avoiding ATI on Linux. My first card was a Radeon 9000.
15 With ati's drivers, the following things were a daily occurance: Complete
16 system hangs (even sysreq didn't matter at this point), games showing severe
17 tearing artifacts, random X deaths, etc.
18
19 I got an Nvidia after that to replace it, and I never once had issues like
20 that.
21
22 Forward to today. I got a new IBM Thinkpad T43. A FANTASTIC laptop, I
23 absolutly LOVE it. It's the best computing purchase I have ever made, hands
24 down.
25
26 ... And it would be 100% perfect, if not for... you see it coming... They put
27 an ATI X300 in it :(
28
29 I figured it had been a few years, surely ATI had their junk together. Boy do
30 I regret putting any faith in them.
31
32 The severe problems I faced, using latest stable kernels, latest xorg 7: 1)
33 Total system hang at EVERY X logout... Not most, but EVERY. We're talking
34 hangs so bad, even sysreq didn't do anything. Now THAT's a hard hang. 2)
35 Total system hang at EVERY resume from suspend to ram. The rest of the system
36 was fine, but the display never comes back up. Without a quick call to sysreq
37 to sync and umount, the system will be completely hung within seconds.
38
39 I wish I could rip the ATI card out of this otherwise FANTASTIC laptop, and
40 throw in an nvidia... but that can't happen.
41
42 In closing, ATI's attitude towards supporting linux users is not only poor,
43 but at times outright horrible. Case in point is the fact that within the
44 past few years, in response to various linux users posting their problem son
45 thier forums, ATI said something to the likes of: Supporting the linux
46 operating system is not a priority of ATI, and likely will not be for some
47 years to come.
48
49 Not an exact quote and I forget where it's at, but it was defiantely official
50 word from ATI.
51
52 You don't have to be a zealot to come realize that giving a company who
53 clearly does not care about a slice of their customers, blatantly so, is a
54 lost cause.
55
56 Go Nvidia. You may spend a little more, but that will go into real support,
57 real drivers, and a development team over there that DOES solve problems, and
58 they solve them pretty fast.
59
60 Thus ends the rant. If you made it this far, welcome to my opinion.
61 --
62 "When you walk across the fields with your mind pure and holy, then from
63 all the stones, and all growing things, and all animals, the sparks of
64 their soul come out and cling to you. And then they are purified, and
65 become a holy fire in you." -- Ancient Hasidic Saying
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list