From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI and Linux
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 02:31:41
1 On 5/7/06, fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I wish I could rip the ATI card out of this otherwise FANTASTIC laptop, and
3 > throw in an nvidia... but that can't happen.
4
5 Well, as someone who recently changed from an ATI to an NVidia laptop,
6 my view is that, while things _are_ better on this side of the fence
7 (better performance, Composite support (now even with OpenGL
8 applications!!), and so on), they are still far from perfect where
9 laptops are concerned.
10
11 NVidia fully supports suspend-to-ram....and my laptop will suspend and
12 resume to ram reliably...most of the time. The problem is that not
13 all drivers really work with suspend-to-ram. For example alsa loses
14 the BIOS-set pin configuration, causing the headphone pin to no longer
15 function (sound comes from speakers always). Also I have some
16 instability in timetracking with VMWare virtual machines after
17 resuming.
18
19 Now none of the above is NVidia's fault, and using suspend-to-disk is
20 the usual way of dealing with these issues, since the BIOS is started
21 and reconfigures everything they way it is supposed to be. NVidia has
22 just started to support suspend-to-disk, but my system will still fail
23 to resume at least 50% of the time.
24
25 The biggest complaint I have (and that I see frequently on the nvnews
26 forums) with NVidia's drivers is the time between releases. They used
27 to do a release about every two months, but lately that has slid to 4
28 or even 5 months sometimes!! Which means I will probably have no
29 usable suspend-to-disk until September or October.
30
31 -Richard
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list