From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ATI and Linux
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 23:12:24
1 I am looking to get a new video card. I have used an NVidia with Linux
2 for a *long* time now. I can't recall when I last bought an ATI card,
3 at least 6 years or more.
4
5 Anyway I want to get some feedback on the current ATI driver state. Are
6 they stable and pretty easy to use/install? Any problems with games?
7 How about commercial OpenGL games ported to Linux like Call of Duty and
8 Doom 3?
9
10 I am asking because Newegg has some nice deals on ATI X1600 series
11 starting at $99 USD:
12
13 http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFilesForNewegg/NEemail/promo050706/index.htm
16 I probably will just go with NVidia. NVidia's Linux support has always
17 been rock-solid for me and installation is as easy as executing the
18 NVIDIA script, or using the ebuild with Gentoo.
19
20 However, a nice new ATI at those prices is tempting if ATI has gotten
21 their Linux act together. Do the proprietary ATI Linux drivers have
22 *all* of the features that the proprietary ATI Windows drivers have?
23 One thing I like about NVidia's driver is that it is a unified driver
24 model and the drivers are basically feature for feature identical on the
25 different oses.
26
27 Jim
28 --