From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trying to configure Radeon card
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:59:58
1 Jeff Cranmer writes:
2
3 > Regarding eselect, I used eselect opengl xorg-xll to select the open
4 > source driver instead of ati. I think this is correct?
5
6 Sounds right.
7
8 > The kernel options are configured as follows
9 >
10 > Device Drivers ->
11 > Generic Driver Options ->
12 > <*> Userspace firmware loading support
13 > [*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
14 > Graphics support ->
15 > <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
16 > <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
17 > -> <*> ATI Radeon
18 > [*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default
19
20 The help for this last setting tells:
21
22 This is a completely new driver. It's only part of the existing drm
23 for compatibility reasons. It requires an entirely different graphics
24 stack above it and works very differently from the old drm stack.
25 i.e. don't enable this unless you know what you are doing it may
26 cause issues or bugs compared to the previous userspace driver stack.
27 [...]
28 This code support the following hardware : R1XX,R2XX,R3XX,R4XX,R5XX
29 radeon up to X1950). Works is underway to provide support for R6XX,
30 R7XX and newer hardware (radeon from HD2XXX to HD4XXX).
31
32 You seem to have a HD 5700 card, even newer than the HD4XXX which is not
33 yet supported. So I'd turn this option off and try again.
34
35 I have the driver compiled as a module, and get these messages in dmesg
36 when loading:
37 [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
38 [drm] radeon defaulting to userspace modesetting.
39 fglrx_pci 0000:01:05.0: setting latency timer to 64
40 [drm] Initialized radeon 1.33.0 20080528 for 0000:01:05.0 on minor 0
41 [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
42 [drm] Loading RS780 CP Microcode
43 [drm] Resetting GPU
44 [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
45 [drm] Resetting GPU
46
47 I suggest compiling as a module, so you can easier check for kernel
48 messages when loading the module, and it allows to try the closed-source
49 ati-drivers. I had a memory problem with them (but did not try the last
50 version), and had to use an older X server, so I gave the open-source
51 drivers a try. They work, with less memory and CPU usage, but I get
52 distortions. I also have to use the older xorg-server 1.7, because with
53 1.8 X crashed every few minutes.
54
55 Whoops, I just see that I also have the fglrx module running, this should
56 not happen. Could this be the cause for my graphics distortions? Let's
57 see.
58
59 Wonko