From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Trying to configure Radeon card
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 01:24:11
1 On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 17:06 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > Forgot one last thing. After you do what I described in my other post,
4 > make sure to execute:
5 >
6 > eselect opengl set ati
9 Hi Nikos,
10
11 Thanks for the advice.
12
13 I think that the instructions that you're providing, however, are for
14 the closed source ATI driver. I've already battled unsuccessfully with
15 that driver via OpenSUSE, Kubuntu, Fedora and gentoo, so I'm trying to
16 configure using the open source Radeon driver instead, with reference to
17 this wiki here
18 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Radeon
19
20 Regarding eselect, I used eselect opengl xorg-xll to select the open
21 source driver instead of ati. I think this is correct?
22
23 The kernel options are configured as follows
24
25 Device Drivers ->
26 Generic Driver Options ->
27 <*> Userspace firmware loading support
28 [*] Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary
29 Graphics support ->
30 <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
31 <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) ->
32 <*> ATI Radeon
33 [*] Enable modesetting on radeon by default
34
35 When I re-ran emerge radeon-ucode and checked my kernel blobs line
36 in .config, I discovered that I had not included the kernel blobs
37 radeon/R600_rlc.bin and radeon/R700_rlc.bin, so I recompiled the kernel
38 using those options and rebooted after running grub to setup the revised
39 kernel.
40
41 I also noted the instructions at
42 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Framebuffer#Drivers_with_Kernel_Mode_Setting_.28KMS.29
43 and recompiled the kernel once more after changing the following
44 settings
45
46 Device Drivers ->
47 Graphics support ->
48 [*] Support for frame buffer devices --->
49 [*] Enable firmware EDID
50 [*] Enable Video mode handling helpers
51
52 Following on further, I found this link
53 http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo#RemovingAMD.2BAC8-ATIcatalyst.2BAC8-fglrxdriver.28closedsource.29
54 and discovered that I still had the fglrx.ko module
55 in /lib/modules/2.6.34-gentoo-r6/video, so I deleted it and typed
56 depmod -a
57
58 After reviewing my /etc/make.conf, I discovered that I had the
59 VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" option set, so I changed that to
60 VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" and ran
61
62 emerge -Dav mesa libdrm xf86-video-ati
63 emerge -NDuav system (nothing to merge)
64 emerge -NDuav world (rebuilt xorg-drivers-1.7 and
65 pm_utils-1.4.1http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo#RemovingAMD.2BAC8-ATIcatalyst.2BAC8-fglrxdriver.28closedsource.29
66
67 I then re-ran grub and tried to boot into the revised kernel, but still
68 no luck getting anything other than software rasteriser. The Xorg.0.log
69 file for this run is attached.
70
71 I then tried moving the xorg.conf file to another location and restarted
72 with no xorg.conf. I still got only software rasteriser, but now I have
73 errors in Xorg.0.log where fbdev and vesa modules do not exist.
74
75 This log file is in the second attachment, Xorg.0.log.noXorg.conf
76
77 Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I go from here?
78
79 Thanks in advance
80
81 Jeff