From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Is there a gcc-4.1.1 alternative?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:48:27
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:29:09 -0500
4 Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > On Saturday 13 January 2007 09:42, Michael Sullivan wrote:
7 > > This strace doesn't help me much. What does "attached" mean, anyway?
8 >
9 > I don't know what the problem is, but I can tell you that strace "attaches" to
10 > a process meaning that it begins to watch the process to see what system
11 > calls it is making. If the process doesn't make any system calls, then you
12 > won't see anything with strace. [...]
13
14 I think since the suggestion of using "strace" to look if a certain
15 process is "doing" things was mine. So I owe this thread a bit more
16 input. Randy, you're completely right. And especially the compile task
17 in question, "gcc -o insn-attrtab.o" (shortened), is rather CPU- but
18 not kernel-intensive. I don't know what exactly it does (not familiar
19 with gcc internals), but it _heavily_ depends on the optimization
20 level. So my suggestion to the OP would be to carefully look at the
21 CFLAGS. Maybe -- please correct me if that is the case -- is a gcc
22 build restricted to certain CFLAGS, though. At this stage, I would
23 exclude a race condition involving the kernel, e.g. some stale or
24 missing files. It may have to do with threading, but gcc doesn't thread.
25
26 Question to the OP: What is the larger context of that gcc build? A
27 simple update? A larger scale configuration change?
28
29 -hwh
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list