From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Is there a gcc-4.1.1 alternative?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 17:39:44
1 On Saturday 13 January 2007 09:42, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > This strace doesn't help me much. What does "attached" mean, anyway?
3
4 I don't know what the problem is, but I can tell you that strace "attaches" to
5 a process meaning that it begins to watch the process to see what system
6 calls it is making. If the process doesn't make any system calls, then you
7 won't see anything with strace. For example,
8
9 #define BIG_NUMBER 4e15
10 main () {
11 long x;
12 for(int i=0; i<BIG_NUMBER; i++)
13 x+=i;
14 }
15
16 When this small program is in the loop, it will not be making any system calls
17 (i.e., no output/input or other system calls) so it will be a very busy
18 process but it won't show anything in strace. Hope that answers your
19 question!
22 Randy Barlow
23 http://www.electronsweatshop.com
24 "Oh me of little faith..."