From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [HELP] Intermittent software RAID failures
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:34:37
1 On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've got a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with dual 2.5" hard drives setup
5 > using software RAID1. I've had this computer for about a year and half
6 > and all's been working well.
7 >
8 > I've experienced intermittent software RAID errors like those found in
9 > the "softraid-fail.txt" attachment.
10 >
11 > Initially I suspected a kernel bug because it started around the same
12 > time I'd upgraded the kernel (around the 2.6.30 upgrade) but subsequent
13 > kernel upgrades haven't improved the situation.
14 >
15 > I've run smartctl --all and bablocks on both disks, but nothing is
16 > reported as faulty.
17 >
18 > I don't understand what is causing RAID to report these faults and would
19 > like some ideas as to how I can further diagnose the problem.
20
21 I remember reading something recently (within the last year?) about
22 smartmontools causing disks to go offline unnecessarily in some
23 situation, i think due to a bug in the smart tools. I don't know if
24 it's a certain version of smartmontools or combination of that and
25 other things. Maybe you can try upgrade/downgrade of smart or
26 temporarily disable smartd to see if it stops the disks from being
27 taken offline.