From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firewall recommendations
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 17:27:15
1 Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Monday 04 December 2006 14:55, Jon M wrote:
3 >
4 >> Still new when it comes to Gentoo and so I'm stuck when it comes to
5 >> picking a firewall to use. I know that most (if not all) of them just
6 >> use iptables to block/allow stuff but I like the simplicity of having it
7 >> do it automatically.
10 > iptables is *the* firewall for linux.
13 >> Anyway, I've been using APF on CentOS which worked
14 >> great. Setting it up couldn't have been easier. Unfortunately it
15 >> doesn't seem to want to play nicely with Gentoo. So now I'm looking for
16 >> a new firewall. I tried Shorewall but it seems a little too complicated
17 >> to set up. Is there something as simple as APF that works with Gentoo?
20 > I don't know what APF is.
21 > But, if you want a GUI, try fwbuilder.
22 > Or, emerge -S iptables, there are loads of others.
26 You can also use webmin to do iptables with as well. If you need a GUI.
27
28 That is the thing about Linux sometimes, more ways to skin a cat than
29 there is cats. LOL
30
31 Dale
32