From: Shoka <shoka@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem configuring Intel Wireless 5300 device
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 00:03:36
1 On 07.02.2010 20:46, Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:21:20PM +0100, Shoka wrote:
3 >
4 >> I got stuck when trying to get the Intel Wireless 5300 device running.
5 >> I'm using the 2.6.31.gentoo-r6 kernel source and have tried several
6 >> configuration options for getting this driver to work.
7 >>
8 >> The gentoo os is running on a lenovo x200 notebook.
9 >>
10 >> It seems that the iwlagn module doesn't get compiled at all. When trying
11 >> to run "modprobe iwlagn" I get the message "Module iwlagn not found".
12 >> The device is properly recognized when using the Gentoo Live CD. There
13 >> it uses the iwlagn module. So it should be possible to configure the
14 >> kernel to do the same.
15 >>
16 > You said that the module didn't get compiled: did you configure the
17 > kernel to include it?
20 >> I have found this forum post about configuring the 5300 device, but this
21 >> guy used the 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 kernel source and it looks like the kernel
22 >> config options in menuconfig have changed. I cannot find a kernel config
23 >> option called "Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN (iwlagn)".
24 >>
25 > If you are in menuconfig, you can always hit / to bring up the search
26 > screen, and type in IWL as your search string.
27 >
28 > In 2.6.31-gentoo-r9, go to
29 >
30 > Device Drivers -> Network device support -> Wireless LAN -> Wireless
31 > LAN (IEEE 802.11) -> Intel Wireless Wifi
32 >
33 > to enable IWLWIFI first, and then you should be able to see the
34 > Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN option.
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 >
38 > W
39 >
40 Hi Willie,
41
42 I finally found the problem: I had to enable the option
43
44 General Setup
45 [ ] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers
46
47 I recognized that after invoking a search on "iwlwifi". There was a
48 dependency to "EXPERIMENTAL". And this is exactly the mentioned switch
49 above.
50
51 After selecting this option, I was able to select the "Intel Wireless"
52 stuff.
53
54 Thanks to all for giving hints into the right direction :-)
55
56 Shoka