From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] should dual-core Pentium Processor Extreme Edition be recognized as two processors or one?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 21:04:15
1 Crap! I totally forgot that I need ACPI support in the kernel for an
2 SMP system to work the way I expected. I guess I can load my .config
3 file, edit it inside menuconfig, and recompile the kernel. I forgot -
4 do I need to clean out any of the stuff from this kernel before I can
5 recompile it, or can I simply re-make it?
6
7 I have a couple of questions also about some of the dmesg output (see
8 dmesg.txt attached)...
9
10 1. Bug in the BIOS? I upgraded to the latest BIOS from Intel's site
11 before I began Gentoo installation. I guess this isn't too crucial of
12 a bug?
13
14 OEM ID: Product ID: APIC at: 0xFEE00000
15 Processor #0 15:4 APIC version 20
16 Enabling APIC mode: Flat. Using 0 I/O APICs
17 BIOS bug, no explicit IRQ entries, using default mptable. (tell your hw vendor)
18 Processors: 1
19
20 2. What is this PCI jabber? Anything serious? It seems
21 inconsequential, but I just wanted to ask anyway.
22
23 PCI: Failed to allocate mem resource #6:20000@e0000000 for 0000:01:00.0
24 PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:01.0
25 IO window: disabled.
26 MEM window: e0000000-e4ffffff
27 PREFETCH window: d0000000-dfffffff
28 PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.0
29 IO window: disabled.
30 MEM window: e5300000-e53fffff
31 PREFETCH window: disabled.
32 PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.4
33 IO window: disabled.
34 MEM window: e5400000-e54fffff
35 PREFETCH window: disabled.
36 PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.5
37 IO window: 1000-1fff
38 MEM window: e5100000-e51fffff
39 PREFETCH window: disabled.
40 PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1e.0
41 IO window: disabled.
42 MEM window: e5000000-e50fffff
43 PREFETCH window: disabled.
44
45 3. I chose the Preemptive mode for the kernel - is that a good choice?
46
47 Thanks for all the replies - they were all very helpful.

cpu.txt text/plain
dmesg.txt text/plain